Website Michipicoten First Nation
COMMUNITY ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
MICHIPICOTEN FIRST NATION
Internal/External Posting March 14, 2023
Michipicoten First Nation (MFN) is a vibrant Ojibway First Nation community located on the white sands (north-east shores) of Lake Superior. The registered population is approximately 1,230 with 70 members living on reserve. With a strong sense of community and cultural identity, Michipicoten First Nation strives to maintain harmony and balance with Mother Earth, neighbouring First Nations, and surrounding communities.
MFN is seeking a full-time Community Economic Development Officer (CEDO) to lead the implementation of community economic development initiatives aimed at building long term community capacity and fostering the integration of the Michipicoten First Nation’s economic, social, and environmental objectives.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, or their designate, the CEDO is responsible for overseeing the functions of the Community Economic Development Department. The Department serves to develop strategies to assist the Nation and its Citizens to broaden their economic base and identify new or emerging areas of economic opportunity. The CEDO will be involved in planning, developing, and implementing economic opportunities in collaboration with Michipicoten’s economic development corporation along with government, private industry, municipalities, and First Nation partners. There will be a strong emphasis on business venture development related to ecotourism, resource development and working with private industry developers to ensure that Michipicoten First Nation benefits from development activities within its Traditional Territory.
- Economic Diversification, Liaison, and Implementation
- Capacity Building and Grant Writing
- Day-to-day Operations of the Community Economic Development Department
- Financial Management of the Department
Education and Experience
- Degree in community development, business, commerce, economics, or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five (5) or more years experience in community or economic development.
- Three (3) or more years in a management or supervisory role.
- Experience in venture development, particularly in natural resource extraction
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office.
- Excellent interpersonal skills coupled with community outreach skills.
- Experience working with First
- Knowledge of Indigenous Rights, history, culture, and current socioeconomic
- Strong communication and negotiation
- Strong interpersonal and government/private industry relations
- Proven track record building, developing, and coordinating successful
Job type: Permanent, Full Time
Location: Michipicoten First Nation near Wawa, Ontario
Compensation: Michipicoten First Nation offers a comprehensive employee benefit package and competitive wage based upon experience and qualifications. This position allows for flexible hours as some travel and extended hours may be required based on activity.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter & resume as one document by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Please put the job title in the subject line. The complete job description can be obtained by request to email@example.com.
MFN is an equal opportunity employer and will attempt to provide reasonable accommodation upon request. Where qualifications are equal, preference may be given to qualified citizen and/or Indigenous person.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org